Aging gracefully starts on the inside. A healthy diet, hydration and daily skin care are obviously important, but what about supplements to your regiment? We don’t always get enough of the important nutrients in the American diet of today. There are so many types of supplements out there, how do we choose the right ones for our specific body chemistry? Antioxidants are an important supplementation to our diets.
Soft plump skin can be achieved with a combination of antioxidants. Antioxidants are defined as compounds that inhibit oxidation. Oxidation is a chemical reaction that can produce free radicals thereby leading to a chain reaction that may damage the cells of an organism. In laymens terms, they reverse cell damage. Some examples of these, which I am sure most have heard of are Vitamin C and Vitamin E.
The most important thing you can do every day is protect your skin from the harmful ultraviolet rays from the sun. Gone are the days of laying out all day on the beach covered in oil getting a dark tan. When we are younger we don’t realize the damage that can be done to our skin. Not just skin cancer, but melasma, and dark spots. The sun attributes to 90% of the visible changes of aging. 90%!!
This is where antioxidants come in. They work from the inside out. Not only antioxidants, but vitamin and mineral supplements are amazing for anti aging. I have put together an extensive list of the most effective anti aging supplements, including some supplements I have been using with excellent results. I am excited to share these with you! ( Links lead to Amazon)
- CoEnzyme Q10– Also called CoQ10 is an antioxidant that I have been using for about a year now. It is used for heart health, and science suggests, he may reduce the look of wrinkles and improve skin texture. It alleviates oxidation stress in our cells caused by our environment. It is suggested to take this capsule 1/day 50mg or 150mg.
- Collagen Powder-Collagen is essential for lubricating our joints. It also plumps up our skin giving it a youthful appearance. You can get marine collagen, or collagen from grass fed cows, if you’re vegan, they also have vegan formulas as well. The suggested dose is 1 scoopful, put into coffee, water or tea. You can even put it into a smoothie. It has no flavor and mixes easily so you won’t be able to tell it is even in any of those drinks. I use marine collagen, 1 scoop in my nighttime tea.
- Vitamin C– There are different forms of Vitamin C which effects the bioavailabilty which is how our body absorbs it. The chemical name for this vitamin is absorbic acid. They come in capsule form as well as sublingual ( placed under the tongue), and powder you can mix into a drink. Absorbic acid is highly acidic so if you have stomach issues, it is best to take the crystallized powder form. The recommended daily amount is about 90mg but taking too much most likely will not have an adverse effect on the body.
- L-Carnosine- This one is great and has many uses. It has been shown to reduce symptoms in people with Autism if taken daily. It is used in body building and working out due to its ability to decrease muscle fatigue. This one also comes in capsule or powder form. I use the capsules 2 a day 500mg each, which is the recommended dose. This helps reduce age spots and some people have even had their gray hairs replaced with their youthful hair. It has also been shown to reduce nerve damage caused by diabetes, cataracts, and reverse kidney damage.
- Zinc- I was surprised to learn about the benefits this mineral has on our skin. It is used to treat stomach issues such as GERD or acid reflux. Although this isn’t technically an antioxidant, it works like one by building up the cells defenses of free radicals. Zinc also helps acne by unclogging pores and boosts the immune system. The daily recommended amount of Zinc is determined by age, for adult women it is 8mg per day, for men 11 mg.
- Spirulina– Algae is excellent for our bodies, helping reduce inflammation and boost our immune system. You can find them in tablet form or powder form. I did not find the recommended amount on this one, but I have included the link for the tablet form from amazon.
- Helio Care- A powerful antioxidant derived from the fern plant. These vegan supplements have a strong anti inflammatory effect and it helps prevent UVB and UVA cell toxicity and DNA damage. Take 1 a day to prevent sun damage.
- Vitamin E– This fat soluble antioxidant is in many foods, and is best taken with a meal because it dissolves in fat and that is easier for your body to absorb. There is also Vitamin E oil you can use on the outside for soft protected skin. The daily recommended dose for adults is 15mg.
- Fisetin-This is an antioxidant found in plants. It works the same way by reducing inflammation and protecting skin cells.
- Acetyl LCarnitine– It improves brain function, reduces inflammation. The recommended daily dose for adults is 2 grams per day. You want to start with 1 gram and work your way up.
- Whey Protein- When thinking of this one, my first thought was weight gain or body building. This actually can be used as a very powerful antioxidant and you want to choose the cold pressed, grass fed kind due to the heating element removing some important ingredients. It comes in powder form and can be incorporated into your diet pretty easily. It can be mixed with different things and comes in different flavors.It also prevents muscle loss and osteoporosis, or bone loss. Also, improves the metabolism that slows down due to aging. Depending on what brand you choose, the dosages will be a bit different so read the label.
- Polyphenols-This is found in colorful foods such as red cabbage and different berries. You can also find them in tablet form with the recommended daily dose of 4 tablets. We can never literally anti age, but we can age gracefully. Always check with your doctor before starting a new regimen. Some supplements affect how our bodies break down certain medications, so if you are on any medications be sure to speak with a physician. You aren’t going to see results overnight, but if you stick with it, you will likely see and feel the effects in 60 days or so. Try the ones that work best for you and your body. I hope you enjoyed this article. I encourage you to leave questions or comments below. Have you tried any of these? If so did you feel it worked for you? I would love to hear about it. Thanks!
As an amazon affiliate I get paid for qualifying purchases