When thinking of algae, we often picture the green substance that grows in ponds, lakes or swimming pools. Did you know there are actually thousands of different species of algae that grow all over the world? Tiny species of algae such as chorella and spirulina are actually some of the most nutritious super foods we could add to our diets. These micro-algae are known to produce potent compounds and nutrients that are essential in supporting our overall health. Let’s get into the important health benefits of microalgae.
Chorella is a freshwater algae and there are over 30 species. Two main types are chlorella pyrendiosa and chlorella vulgarius that are being used in supplements and research for health benefits. Chorella comes in tablet, powder, and capsule form.
You can even find extract. Not only is chorella being used as a health supplement but its also being researched for use in biodeisel fuel. There are studies that show the health benefits of chorella.
- Superfood – Chorella has so many health benefits such as including many nutrients. Vitamin B 12, Protein, Vitamin C, and many other antioxidants. This is why chorella is often refereed to as a super food.
- Detox – Animal studies were done that show Cholesterol ability to bind to heavy metals and flush them out of the body. Heavy metals such as iron and copper are essential but can be toxic if you have large amounts in your system.
- Immune Health – Having a strong immune system is important for fighting off infections and other dangers to our system. Chorella has been shown in studies to enhance the immune system.
- May Lower Cholesterol- Certain studies have shown that taking up to 10 grams of chorella per day lowered LDL and total cholesterol in people with elevated cholesterol.
- Antioxidant – Antioxidants are important for overall health and aging. Chlorella has many antioxidants that may help fight chronic disease and aging.
Spirulina is another well-known micro-algae that can help boost our health. Spriulina is full of important nutrients and antioxidants.
- Packed with nutrients – Spriulina is full of Vitamin – B 1, 2, and 3. Protein , copper, and iron are also found in spriulina.
- Helps Lower bad cholesterol – In studies, spirulina raised good HDL cholesterol and lowered bad, LDL cholesterol.
- Antioxidant effect – Spriulina has been shown to prevent cell oxidation which can cause illness and show signs of aging faster like wrinkles and dull skin.
- Anti-Inflammatory – Just like spriulinas effects on oxidation Phycocyanin, the main compound in spriulina, has powerful anti-inflammatory properties.
- Cancer prevention – In studies, spriulinla has reversed precancerous lesions on study participants. Spriulina may have anti-cancer properties especially in a certain precancer of the mouth called OSMF.
How To Take MicroAlgae As A Supplement
There are many micro algae supplements out there so how do you choose the right one for you? First of all, always speak with your doctor or health care professional before taking any supplements. Most are made in controlled laboratories. Most algae supplement manufacturers recommend between 200 and 300 mg/day. Here I have compiled a list of supplements:
- “>Spriulina Organic Supplement Powder – This powder comes in powder form and can be used as a supplement super food. 100% organic. Can be mixed in a smoothie for better taste.
- Now Chlorella Tablets – Easy to swallow tablets. 1000 milligrams. First day take half of a tablet with full glass of water and increase following directions on bottle.
- Premium Chlorella Supplement by Fresh Healthcare, 1200mg Pure Vegan Powder Capsules, 180 Chlorophyll and CFG Pills- This is an all natural capsule easy to swallow. The directions on the bottle say take 2 per day will water.
- Allied Life Spirulina and Chlorella | Organic Chlorophyll Vegan Protein Powder Green Superfood | 120 Capsules– These capsules have both chlorella and spirulina both powerful super foods in one capsule. Take 2 capsules per day as per the directions on the bottle.
Microalgae are filled with important vitamins and minerals as well as fiber. They’re called a super food for a reason. Always speak to your doctor or healthcare professional before taking any supplements. Have you tried adding these amazing nutrients to your regimen? As always please leave a comment or any questions below.
As an Amazon associate I get paid for qualifying purchases.