Bananas are an excellent source of vitamins and potassium but did you know the peel of the banana is amazing for the skin and other uses? Don’t throw away that peel. Here are some amazing benefits of banana peel for the skin and other uses.
Why Is The Banana Peel Beneficial?
Bananas are not only healthy and delicious but the peel has many uses as well. The main reason the peel is beneficial for skin and hair is due to the high amount of antioxidants in the peel. Antioxidants are important because they neutralize free radicals which can cause oxidative stress on the cellular level. Banana peels are also rich in phenolics which have strong antimicrobial effects. The peels also contain numerous bio active compounds such as polyphenols and cartenoids. Banana peels also have been shown to have a strong anti inflammatory effect.
The Benefits Of Banana Peel For The Skin
Here are some amazing benefits of banana peels for the skin:
- Use the banana peel as a moisturizer to hydrate your skin
- Eliminate puffy eyes by placing the peel on your eyes for 10-20 minutes
- Brighten skin and reduce wrinkles by rubbing the peel on your skin leave on for 20 minutes then rinse
- Remove a wart by placing a piece of the peel over it held with surgical tape overnight
- To relieve the redness and itch from psoriasis rub the peel on your skin for relief
- Fade acne scars rubbing the peel on your skin
The Benefits Of Banana Peel For The Hair
Naturalists suggest using banana peel as an ingredient in a hair mask for shiny softer hair. Banana peels are rich in antioxidants which keeps hair strong and healthy by neutralizing free radicals.
- Blend the banana peel in a blender with avocado and coconut oil then rub on wet hair cover with shower cap and let sit for 30 minutes then rinse for shiny soft hair.
Banana Peel For Teeth Whitening
Another amazing use for the peel is to help whiten teeth naturally. The antibacterial effect of banana peel helps get rid of the bacteria that often causes gingivitis and periodontal disease. Rub the peel on your teeth directly and doing this daily for a week could whiten your teeth naturally.
Banana Peel For First Aid
The anti inflammatory and antibacterial properties are great for first aid and wound and burn healing:
- Relieve sunburn, bug bites, and poison ivy by pressing the peel against the skin for 30 minutes
- If you have a splinter, leaving the peel over the splinter will help draw the splinter to the surface for easy removal
- Reduce a headache by placing a frozen banana peel on your head and the back of your neck for about 20 minutes
Eat The Peel
There are amazing benefits to your health by eating the peel. Here are some ideas:
- Turn the peel into candy by cooking the peel and sugar coat them
- Boil the peel and have banana tea
- Blend the peel into a protein shake or smoothie
There are even some household uses for the banana peel:
- Polish and brighten silverware
- Polish leather shoes
- Polish the leaves on your house plants
- Use in the garden by mixing with water to make fertilizer
- Use to attract butterflies
- Place under your rose bush to deter aphids
- Add to soil for worm food
I had no idea the banana peel had so many health benefits and household uses. According to studies, banana peels have many beneficial properties. I can’t wait to try some of these myself. The takeaway, don’t throw out that peel you can even put some in the freezer to use as an ice pack for injuries. Have you tried any of these uses for the banana peel? I would love to hear your thoughts so please comment below.