As we age, it is more important than ever to consume the right foods. Not only for our skin, but also our aging bones and organs, pretty much every system in our body slows down. We have all heard the saying you are what you eat, and that statement is so true.
Staying hydrated is also super important as well as staying active. If you’re gaining weight, feeling sluggish, your sleep is erratic, and your skin is dry or just not as youthful, it could be the foods you’re eating or not eating. Here are 10 super foods for anti aging so let’s get glowing!
Antioxidant Rich Foods
Foods that are high in antioxidants have been shown to naturally slow down and improve the aging process. Here is a list of 10 super foods for anti aging:
- Blueberries – These are a real super food due to their ability to limit cell damage due to free radicals and brain cells by the compound called anthocyanins. They are also rich in vitamins A. B, C. If you’re over 30, eating blueberries on a daily basis improves brain function, and helps and protects our skin.
- Broccoli – This super food is packed with fiber, luetine, and calcium. Also, rich in Vitamins A and C, and antioxidants, and folate. Eating broccoli daily will improve the production of collagen, which is shown to lessen the appearance of wrinkles.
- Avocado – There seems to be a buzz around this super food lately, and for good reason. Avocado helps control weight, and is full of phytochemicals, which have been shown to slow the signs of aging. The monounsaturated fats in avocados keep our arteries and heart healthy.
- Dark Chocolate – When thinking of chocolate you may think its far from healthy, but dark chocolate is different due to the fact that it is full of antioxidants. Dark chocolate has been shown to help our mental well-being as well as our heart. It is high in calories, so limit yourself to one small square a day.
- Spinach – Spinach is a super food rich in vitamins A, C, E, and K, and magnesium, luteine, and iron. Vitamin K has been proven to help arthritis by decreasing inflammation. Iron is important for blood and heart health.
- Salmon – Salmon is a super food due to the fact that it consumes large amounts of astaxanthin from algae. This is an amazing antioxidant because of its ability to fight cellular damage to the DNA caused by oxidants. Salmon is full of omega3 fatty acids which help with joints and aging skin.
- Figs – These contain polyphenols and flavanoids which are able to prevent oxidative stress related conditions such as neurodegenerative diseases. This super food is also high in Vitamin C which is great for slowing down and reversing the look of wrinkles.
- Nuts – These are an excellent source of Vitamin E, which repairs skin damage caused by UV rays, helps to hydrate the skin. Walnuts have a high amount of omega 3 which helps improve brain function and slows signs of aging such as wrinkles. Almonds are high in Vitamin E and can be eaten in small amounts per day.
- Pomegranate – This delicious fruit is not only fun to eat, but have a high level of Vitamin C, which helps the body produce collagen which helps smooth out wrinkles and cushions our joints to help reduce pain and inflammation.
- Red Bell Pepper – These are not only flavorful but they contain high amounts of carotenoids which is an antioxidant which is not only anti inflammatory, and helps against sun damage, but they also contain Vitamin C which is key for fighting the signs of aging in our skin.
Antioxidants are important compounds to add to our anti aging arsenal. They inhibit oxidation, which is a chemical reaction that produces free radicals that over time add stress to our cells causing premature aging.
If you can’t incorporate enough from super foods into your diet, there are also supplements out there that can help add more to your body. Check out my article here about anti aging supplements. Do you supplement your diet? Are there any super foods I may have missed? As always, don’t hesitate to leave a comment or question!
As an Amazon affiliate I get paid for qualifying purchases