I’m sure by now, we have all heard that fish oil is great for your health no matter what your age is. I wanted to see what benefits this may have on our skin as we age, I was pleasantly surprised at all the benefits this one supplement it has. Fish oil contains Omega-3 fatty acids which are essential for brain and heart health, what about aging skin? Here are the 10 benefits of fish oil for skin. Check out this study on fish oil for anti aging.
What Is Fish Oil?
Fish oil contains important Omega-3 fatty acids that are essential for many bodily functions. Oily fish such as salmon, tuna, and trout are excellent low mercury fish to consume safely. Not only do you need to eat the fish, but there are plenty of supplements out there that contain Omega-3 fatty acid from fish.
Benefits Of Fish Oil For Skin
So what are the top 10 benefits that fish oil has on our skin and hair?:
- Hydration – Fish oil/Omega-3 fatty acid provides amazing hydration to our skin and hair follicles.
- Reduces inflammation and acne
- Protects skin against sun damage
- Promotes healing of the skin
- May help with eczema due to its anti inflammatory effects
- May help improve hyperpigmentaion of the skin
- May smooth the look of fine lines and wrinkles
- May reduce your risk of skin cancer
- For your hair it may help with hair growth and reduce shedding ( check out my post on thinning hair)
- May slow the signs of aging
Foods Containing Omega-3 Fatty Acids
- Cod liver oil
- Flax seed
- Chia seeds
Other Ways To Add Omega-3 To Your Routine
The best way to include omega-3 fatty acid into your routine is through your diet but there are many “> supplements out there you can add to your regimen. There are also topical products out there now containing omeg-3s delivered through plant based oils.
You want to look for a formulation that is non comedogenic so it won’t clog your pores, especially if you’re prone to acne. You can also look for products that incorporate the fatty acids directly. You can use these products instead of moisturizer or if you need more moisture, use both. Here’s a list of a few of the best products containing omega-3s.
- “>True Botanical Radiance Oil
- “>Paulas Choice Resist Omega Complex
- “>Farmacy Honey Grail Hydrating Face Oil
- Ren Vita Minearal Omega 3
- “>Biossance Squaline Omega Repair Cream
Always check with your doctor before taking any new supplements. The benefits of fish oil and other omega-3 fatty acids for our health are many. Adding this important nutrient to your diet may make you look and feel younger. This is super important for your health overall. Do you use skin care products that contain fish oil and omega-3? I would love to hear your thoughts so please comment below.
As an Amazon associate I get paid for qualifying purchases